Here are some observations from the March 27th WSLCB Board Caucus.
My top 3 takeaways:
- With Member Russ Hauge absent (and therefore unable to provide his scheduled update on the DC trip), Deputy Director Peter Antolin engaged at length about the projects and budgets under his charge (transcript, audio).
- The Canopy Unit has been designated limited duration project staff rather than FTE. Their work establishing a “baseline” of measurements finishes up in November 2019 and may be revisited later (transcript, audio).
- The Board expressed unusual concern about hidden ownership in the Washington marketplace. The have requested an update from the unit and have discussed expanding its capabilities (transcript, audio)
- Chair Jane Rushford inquired about IT Staffing and Director Rick Garza shared news that WSLCB will likely partner with the Department of Licensing on a major software acquisition project (transcript, audio).
- Peter reminded the Board that the traceability contingency reporting system will only be available through the end of the month (transcript, audio).
- Policy and Rules Coordinator Joanna Eide briefed the Board on written comments received and testimony from the public hearings at last Wednesday’s Board Meeting (Mar 21) while requesting input and making recommendations on next steps (transcript, audio).
- Joanna went into great detail on feedback from the Packaging and Labeling Rules Public Hearing (CR-102, transcript, audio). TCA’s requests were discussed at length. It doesn’t sound like the Packaging and Labeling Workgroup will be reconvened prior to issuance of the CR-103.
- The Retail License Forfeiture Rules Public Hearing was mentioned (CR-102 as filed Feb 7; Supplemental CR-102; transcript,audio).
- Joanna Eide briefed the Board on her work drafting proposed rules to complete the WSLCB’s charges from the 2017 omnibus cannabis legislation (CR-101, transcript, audio). There are a large number of proposed changes. The CR-102 and public hearing will occur at an upcoming Board Meeting (possibly Apr 18).