Board members prepared for the next board meeting, heard about possible vapor regulatory and legislative changes, and discussed how to better incorporate research into the agency's rule development process.
Here are some observations from the Tuesday April 3rd Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) Board Caucus.
My top 3 takeaways:
- Policy and Rules Coordinator Joanna Eide prepared the Board for Wednesday’s Board Meeting (transcript, audio).
- The briefing covered the proposed expansion of the Board Interim Policy on quarantine (BIP-2018-03, as adjusted) and the supplemental CR-102 for retail license forfeiture rules (CR-102, Supplemental CR-102).
- The majority of the briefing covered the CR-102 for the 2017 cannabis legislation rules. There are a very large quantity of proposed rule changes and additions in this package, not all of which were covered in this or prior briefings (CR-102 Board Issue Paper, CR-102 Rules Documents, transcript, audio).
- Finally, Joanna shared some of the complexities around drafting the 2018 cannabis legislation rules to implement HB 2334. The CR-101 was introduced and approved at Wednesday’s Board Meeting (CR-101, transcript, audio).
- The Enforcement Vapor Team, WSLCB Public Health Education Liaison Mary Segawa, and Joanna Eide presented progress towards defining potential regulatory and legislative changes to existing vapor laws. Because of the constrained regulatory authority the WSLCB has over vapor products, discussion turned to ways cannabis product supply chains could be more strictly regulated to create salutary effects in the vapor marketplace (transcript, audio).
- WSLCB Researcher Trecia Ehrlich presented her recent work aimed at incorporating research into the WSLCB’s policy-making framework. Titled “We Know A Lot About Cannabis,” the presentation covered substantial ground leading Member Hauge to conclude, “It’s a piece we’ve been missing.” TCA has previously collaborated with Trecia on Cannabis worker safety in Washington state. I highly recommend reviewing this content (transcript, audio).