Cannabis Data was unable to observe this Board Caucus. We have prepared takeaways and linked supplemental material using documents secured through public records request.
My top 3 takeaways:
- The Board received an update on the retail license forfeiture program and the upcoming deadline for non-operational retailers.
- WSLCB Director of Licensing and Regulation Becky Smith said her office has received requests from 5 licensees for extensions beyond the August 1st deadline. The Board agreed to maintain the existing timeline and suggested businesses plan “soft” openings before the deadline.
- Petition for rulemaking to clarify the definition of True Parties of Interest.
- Policy and Rules Coordinator Joanna Eide shared a petition for clarification of the definition of True Parties of Interest, asking that it be narrowly defined as anyone “entitled to receive a percentage of total revenue” (handout).
- Eide proposed evaluating the change as part of a current rulemaking package, and said she did not believe it would impact open investigations into hidden ownership.
- Member Ollie Garrett discussed her participation at a Washington CannaBusiness Association (WACA) meeting in Arlington.
- Member Garrett said WACA members’ concerns centered on enforcement. One issue was “…time spent by enforcement writing violations for what they felt were simple errors versus investigating hidden ownership.”
- Member Garrett’s key takeaway was a desire for greater education focused on achieving and maintaining compliance. The Board discussed the idea of WSLCB-led training seminars.
- The Board intends to review written warnings and Administrative Violation Notices and may offer training on the compromise process.
Here are shared documents for your review:
- Official Meeting Minutes
- Handout 1: Alcohol Rules Timeline
- Handout 2: Curbside Service Language
- Handout 3: 2018 Alcohol Legislative Language
- Handout 4: Alcohol Barrier Petition
- Handout 5: True Parties of Interest Petition
- Handout 6: WAC 314-55-055 – Marijuana Retailer License Forfeiture
- Handout 7: The Health Effects of Cannabis & Cannabinoids (Chapter Highlights)